[mythtv-users] 802.11g router with VPN for wlan

Harondel J. Sibble help at pdscc.com
Mon Dec 22 13:42:25 EST 2003

I will be moving soon to a concrete building which will potentially make
wiring my network up somewhat difficult, particularly for my mythtv box which
will be on the middle floor while all my networking gear will be on the top
floor.

I am still looking at doing the cabling between floors anyways however I
thought I'd look at some wireless options.

1) How are people finding the signal strength with 802.11g networks where
multiple levels of a concrete building come into play? In my case there are 3
levels to the townhouse.

2) Anyone know of a reasonably priced (say around $300-$400) router that
supports wireless g speeds, has at least a 4 port 10/100 switch built in and
MOST IMPORTANTLY, supports hardware vpn tunnels for BOTH the wired and
wireless lans?  The closest I've found to that so far is the Netgear FVM-318

http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.asp?prodID=159&view=

however it only support 802.11b speeds.

Netgear has this model

http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.asp?prodID=178&view=

but it only supports 2 vpn tunnels. I need to have the ability for at least 7
concurrent tunnels.

Any other suggestions?
--
Harondel J. Sibble