[mythtv-users] Dish Network Box and MythTV

Mark fairlane at springcom.com
Sun Dec 21 15:56:05 EST 2003

On Saturday 20 December 2003 12:58 am, James Colannino wrote:
> Hey everyone.  I use Dish Network as my Satellite provider, and I was
> wondering if anyone here uses the same successfully with Myth.  I'm
> going to be setting up a Myth box here at home soon, but don't want to
> do so unless I know for sure that it will work.  It's, I believe, a Dish
> 500 box that I have.  It's signal is MPEG2, if that makes a difference.
> I'm not sure if it's converted to analog anyway before it gets to the
> card.  Anyway, back to my point.  I'd like to be able to use MythTV to
> actually change the channel on the box itself.  For example, the card
> itself would stay tuned to channel 3 where the Satellite box would be,
> and then Myth itself could change the channel on box rather than
> actually tune the card to a different channel.  That way, I could
> schedule recordings and such.  Otherwise, it really wouldn't be of that
> much use to me, love it as much as I do :(  Also, I'm pretty sure I do,
> but do I need two tuner cards to hook up both an antenna and a satellite
> box?  We don't get local stations through our satellite here and use an
> antenna instead, so that means two connections rather than one.  Thanks
> for any help that anyone can provide.

You could do what I do, I use a Dish 4700 receiver output on SVideo into the
Svideo input of a WinTv 401.  The RF antenna portion of the 401 goes to a
local cable subscription.  Myth is smart enough to know that the Dish signal
is supposed to be tuned to the Svideo input.  An external channel change
script can be used to tune the Dish box automatically, though some
distributions of linux work better than others to setup Lirc, even the rough
ones can be fixed properly.  Good luck