[mythtv-users] Fresh Install From Scratch

Darrick Hartman ricko73 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 20 12:34:44 EST 2003

--- Myth Man <mythtv at pln.cc> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> OK, I see where things went ker-flooey..
>
> "(Lines with $ as the prompt are executed as user
> mythtv, lines with #
> as the prompt are executed as root)."
>
> When I read the above line, I thought that Jarod was
> letting noobies
> know that, in a LINUX environment, # is root and $
> is user.
>
> Reading it again, I realized that Jarod was telling
> that, IN HIS
> DOCUMENTION, # is root and $ is mythtv(user).
>
> So, looking at his docs again, with this in mind, I
> can see I did not
> screw up as I thought I had.
>
> But that leaves the question as to why, when I got
> to Step #11, why
> the modprob of ivtv did not work and there is no
> config entry ini
> /var/log/dmesg.  But sbin/lspci -v does show:
>
>         Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc.:
> Unknown device 4000
>         Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency
> 32, IRQ 11
>         Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable)
> [size=64M]
>         Capabilities: <available only to root>

lspci will list all hardware reading it from the card
and is not dependant on any sort of drivers to read
that information (at least not device specific
drivers).  In other words, just because it shows up in
lspci (or /proc/pci) doesn't mean a damn thing about
whether the drivers loaded or not.  It's just telling
you that this is what hardware is present in your
system.

Most if not all modules are loaded as root.  Normal
users do not have the ability to load modules.

Darrick