[mythtv-users] Dish Network Box and MythTV

James Colannino email2jamez at dslextreme.com
Sat Dec 20 00:58:55 EST 2003

Hey everyone.  I use Dish Network as my Satellite provider, and I was
wondering if anyone here uses the same successfully with Myth.  I'm
going to be setting up a Myth box here at home soon, but don't want to
do so unless I know for sure that it will work.  It's, I believe, a Dish
500 box that I have.  It's signal is MPEG2, if that makes a difference.
I'm not sure if it's converted to analog anyway before it gets to the
card.  Anyway, back to my point.  I'd like to be able to use MythTV to
actually change the channel on the box itself.  For example, the card
itself would stay tuned to channel 3 where the Satellite box would be,
and then Myth itself could change the channel on box rather than
actually tune the card to a different channel.  That way, I could
schedule recordings and such.  Otherwise, it really wouldn't be of that
much use to me, love it as much as I do :(  Also, I'm pretty sure I do,
but do I need two tuner cards to hook up both an antenna and a satellite
box?  We don't get local stations through our satellite here and use an
antenna instead, so that means two connections rather than one.  Thanks
for any help that anyone can provide.

James