[mythtv-users] Editing out commercials

James L. Paul james at mauibay.net
Fri Dec 19 22:29:54 EST 2003

On Friday 19 December 2003 13:29, Myth Man wrote:
> Hello Isaac,
>
> Be careful about this thread.
>
> A Hollywood executive, commenting about a PVR legal case, he stated
> that skipping commercials is "stealing" TV.  He was quoted as saying,
> "But we do make allowances for people who want to go to the bathroom."
>
> Hehehehehehehehehehe

Somewhat OT I think, but here's my 1 cent:

Hah. That was tongue-in-cheek I hope. :) Since television viewers do not have
a contract with content providers in exchange for watching TV, viewing rights
to content are limited to licensing, which is exclusively the domain of
copyright law. As viewers we are not required to watch all, any, or any
specific portion of television content. We are bound by copyright law in how
we use or reproduce any content though, requiring us to respect the rights
reserved for the copyright holders.

Since watching television isn't in the domain of contract law (only copyright
law) any Hollywood executive that thinks otherwise is confusing the two. A
television viewer is not required to exchange _anything_ (such as viewing
commercials) for the right to view TV programs. Some people get confused
about pay-TV, such as HBO or whatever, but this is an exchange for _license_
and nothing more. License to watch some TV is free, and some licenses have a
fee. Any contract in such cases is an exchange for a license, not an exchange
for the content itself.

I've read quotes along the lines like the one above, and they both crack me up
and scare me. How anybody can even imagine that a contract exists between
television content providers and viewers is beyond me. How somebody can think
that we are all legally obligated to watch commercials in exchange for the
program during which they are shown is baffling to me. I can certainly
understand a desire by the industry that we all watch commercials, and I see
how the cachflow works to our advantage by keeping a lot of decent content
available without viewing license fees, but really... To think that the
absense of license fees constitutes a contract _requiring_ us to view
commercials to the point of asserting that failure to watch the commercials
is "stealing." Whew. That's a long trip to an odd planet. ;)

Oh. Disclaimer. IANAL. I'm not even CLOSE to being a lawyer, I'm just a
copyright and personal rights freak.

By the way, I have an RCA VHS VCR that I bought in 1995ish that skips
commercials. Does it quite well too. I haven't used it in years now though.