[mythtv-users] Moving to Fedora Core & Myth 0.13: Backup and Restore...

Richie Jarvis richie at helkit.com
Fri Dec 19 05:42:28 EST 2003

(Possible Duplicate)

Hi All,

I would appreciate some checkpointing on the procedure outlined below.
Last night I tried to perform a fedora upgrade to my existing redhat 9
config, and, it was not that successful unfortuantly - apt-get seems to
think that it is still Redhat 9, and the Nvidia drivers refuse to
acknowledge the FC kernel.

So, over the weekend, I intend to wipe redhat 9, whilst keeping my
recorded progs, and a database backup, restore those, and then upgrade
to mythtv 0.13 - I will report with success/failure and lessons learnt
afterwards.

My recorded TV is on /var - and as I plan to wipe everything but the
/var partition, that means /var becomes my Large Dumping Area(tm)

Goal: 	Keep existing recorded programs, channel info, and data
	Upgrade mythtv pc to fedora core 1
  	Upgrade mythtv from 0.12 to 0.13
	Try the PVR250 card again
	Try the PVR250 & the WinTV Card together

Disk Partitions:

/dev/hda5              9621848   3226460   5906612  36% /
/dev/hda1               489992     13899    450793   3% /boot
/dev/hda6            104757264  25040512  79716752  24% /var

Method:

1. Backup all mysql db's using command 'mysqldump -A > mythtv.sql', and
place on /var partition.
2. Backup /home to /var (the LDA) (/home has my original builds of
mythtv, plus other utils I have installed)
3. Remove the BT8x8 card & put the PVR250 card in
4. Install Fedora Core (as per instructions in Jarods excellant doc) -
taking care to format / and /boot, but not /var - and make sure /var is
mounted normally
5. Restore mysql db's using command 'mysql < mythtv.sql' so that the
0.12 version db is present for when I install 0.13
6. Follow Jarods doc to use the correct FC1 kernel, and install MythTV
0.13 (and hopefully convert the 0.12 db to 0.13)
7. Try it out - and whoop with delight as it all works
8. Install the WinTV card alongside the PVR250
9. Drink beer after a sucessful install

Can anyone recommend any changes/good ideas that will save me lots of
hassle during the upgrade process?

Thanks,

Richie