[mythtv-users] Transcoding overhead, could use some advice...

Tony Maro tony at maro.net
Fri Dec 19 01:46:19 EST 2003

I think this is part of my problem as well.

> > the last time I was recording like 3 movies over night I
> came in the
> > morning and the load was like at 8.50! I am in the market for a
> > 250pvr, and Im assuming from your comments - it would be well worth
> > the purchase?

> I don't see how/why your load average would be 8.5 while
> transcoding.
> Transcoding is a pretty linear process, as is recording a
> show. Assuming you are using software encoding, I would think
> your load average would be about 2 while doing both at the
> same time, maybe above that for live TV.
>
> Are you sure there isn't something else going on on your system?

I have the same problem, and it's a dedicated Myth box.  When
transcoding one show on my 1800+ my CPU usage jumps to 100% and my load
average is hitting around 4.  That's without also trying to watch TV,
etc.  My lirc becomes unresponsive, requiring multiple pushes because it
can't get enough processor to interpret the IR.

I've checked and the nice level is set all the way on the transcode
threads...

If I watch live TV while transcoding I'm guaranteed to lock up within 5
minutes.  The transcode and backend still work fine, but the frontend
freezes.  Sometimes I do have to restart the backend after this,
however, or else the frontend will only play a minute or so before it
freezes again.

Unfortunately I'm beginning to think I'm going to have to pull my MythTV
box out of the entertainment center.  It's pretty much useless at this
point, considering how often I'm having to go to a different workstation
to kill the frontend processes.  My wife and kids just can't do that...
And there's no keyboard on the myth box.  Just when I think I've got it
fixed, I get 10 or so lockups in an hour.

Also, transcodes from the RTjpeg to MPEG without changing resolution
seem to take about 3 hours for every 1 hour of show...

Do the 250PVR's work on VIA KT266A  + VT8235 chipsets?  I've seen many
warnings about VIA with ittv and dunno if this is the 250's or not.

-Tony