[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. SageTV vs. Etc....

Dale Weber linuxgeek at thedynaplex.net
Thu Dec 18 23:50:45 EST 2003

On Thursday 18 December 2003 12:09 pm, James L. Paul wrote:

> My intent above has been to just randomly share some thoughts. I live in
> both worlds. I'm glad MythTV (and so many other great projects) exist,
> regardless of the OS. But I'm _very_ glad Linux and the BSDs exist, I can't
> imagine operating my life without them.

	I think you said it all quite well. :)  Finally, I can make Linux my primary
environment, with just a couple of exceptions (Web development and a few
games I enjoy).  Yes, I know about Quanta, but prefer other tools right now.

	I've known about MythTV for a long time, but never could get it installed and
working until I came back to this list and took 0.12 for a spin.  I now have
0.13 up but not yet fully configured (awaiting purchase of a WinTV-PVR/350).
I think MythTV has the best potential I have seen so far for going all the
way with Linux and HTPC stuff in general.  It's TOTALLY Open Source. :D  It
has nothing hidden behind proprietary drivers or modules.

	I am hoping Linux support for the HiPix DTV-200 HTDV card continues to
progress, and that Telemann will eventually aid with full Linux support from
their end.  This is the card I would rather go with for HD content, since I
already know there is at least one project to develop Linux drivers for it.

	I also feel enpowered by using Linux and other Open Source environments,
since I always have the option of getting under the hood and tinkering at
whatever level I want to, including with the actual source code.  Other
envionments frustrate me continually, because I know if I just had the
necessary information, I could probably fix the problem without having to
reinstall the entire operating system.

	With Linux or UNIX, I have a MUCH better chance to fix something that is
broken, give feedback to developers and ask for new features, and learn how
to fix something if I don't already know.  Oh, I still get a little
frustrated sometimes, but only when I can't seem to find the information I
need and know it is out there somewhere.

	I will continue to tinker with MythTV as it evolves, and know that eventually
I will be able to create my ultimate HTPC box using it, perhaps along with
other Open Source software, to get the results and performance I want.  I
will be lurking here, most likely just picking out bits of information and
such I need now or will need later (such as ivtv, which I still can't get to
even build successfully).

	8-Dale
--
The Dynaplex Network - http://www.thedynaplex.org
We support Open Source 100% with Linux and FreeBSD!