[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. SageTV vs. Etc....

Sean shomann2 at insightbb.com
Thu Dec 18 15:09:10 EST 2003

> I don't mean this to sound like a "love it or leave it" speech, because I
> don't think anyone here really feels that way.  But if you are genuinely
> uncomfortable using Linux, then maybe one of the Windows products really
> is the way to go, at least until you have more confidence in your Linux
> knowledge.
>
> I've told a few other newbies repeatedly that Myth is a tough "my first
> Linux" project.  With install guides and distros like KnoppMyth out
> there, it's a lot easier to get going than it used to be, but if someone
> with no Linux experience gets it going using a step-by-step approach but
> doesn't understand anything they've done, it will ultimately not be a
> very good experience for them (as you alluded to - when things break, you
> don't know where to look, how to get more information about what's going
> on, how all the parts of Myth fit together, etc).
>
> That said, Myth is really an amazing piece of work for such a small group
> of developers in such a short time.  And it can be a great learning
> experience for Linux newbies if they approach it as such.  But if you just
> want something you can plug in and start watching TV, it's not really for
> the faint-hearted.

Just as I didn't mean to sound like the complainy, whiney newbie b**ch, but
looking back on my post it kinda does sound that way. Quite the opposite
actually as I see my Myth experience as a constant learning one. I think it
would be very fair to say that I have learned more about Linux in the past
few months just tinkering with Myth trying to get it to work rather than the
years prior of poking around the fringe. I truly and deeply appreciate the
commitment and output of all of the developers and community leaders in
making an extremely competitive product, even if they weren't aiming for it.

My basic question still stands. I think we can all agree that there is no
one true end-all-beat-all solution. I personally see Myth heading in that
direction the fastest. Thanks for all the input!

-Sean