[mythtv-users] Shuttle SK41G sound problem

Steven Marcotte sdmarcotte at comcast.net
Thu Dec 18 11:59:50 EST 2003

ARRRGHHHH!  I need help.

I'm setting up a new Myth box and I have a problem with the sound.  The
TV card is a generic BT8x8 card without a DSP, so the internal audio out
on the TV card to the CD in on the motherboard.  The hardware seems to
works fine; I can use aplay to play sounds through the ALSA driver, I
can use xawtv to watch TV with sound.  I can not, however, start xawtv,
mute the CD in, and successfully execute 'aplay /dev/dsp'.

This is where it gets weird.  If I start watching Live TV, and I set the
volume to 50%, the CD to only 5%, and unmute the CD in, it is distorted
and LOUD, VERY VERY LOUD!  I'm talking blood from the ears loud!  The
audio that is played is the raw audio feed, it is not in sync with the
video.

xawtv doesn't have this problem, I can set the volume to 50% and the CD
to 100% and it is a nice respectable listening level; in fact, it is
almost too quite.

I originally tried Gentoo with a few different kernels and the ALSA 0.98
drivers, with no luck.  I thought maybe the problem was my aggressive
CFLAGS so I installed KnopMyth R4.  Still no luck.

Anyone have any suggestions?

HARDWARE
Shuttle SK41G
AthlonXP 2400+