[mythtv-users] Sigma Designs X-Card

Jayson Garrell kyi at kyi.sytes.net
Wed Dec 17 11:42:33 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-16 at 17:39, Dale Weber wrote:
> 	Since I happen to own an X-Card, it does interest me. :D  When will these
> companies realize they can sell MANY more units if they just make their SDKs
> and driver code examples available freely??
>
> 	I remember when Matrox and nVidia wouldn't even talk to anyone who said
> "Linux" in any sentence..  Maybe Sigma Designs and others will wake up
> someday also. :)  NDAs are so, ummmm, silly, for drivers and such, but I do
> see why companies feel the need to protect their chipset data.  Personally, I
> think they ALL need to lighten up and learn to play well with Open
> Source. :D:D
>
> 	There is such way cool hardware, like the X-Card, available, but so much of
> it is still closed to Open Source. :(
>
> 	8-Dale

I feel your pain. I happen to own a Netstream2000, sigma card. It is a
very nice card and preforms very good, excellent tv out, 1-3% cpu
overhead for watching dvd's & it can stream mpegs over a network very
good. I wish I could get it to work with mythtv, but since the drivers
are mostly closed source it is neigh impossiable. What grips me the most
is that the damn card cost me $250 (US) when I bought it a while back.

Jayson