[mythtv-users] Any way to permit screen saver only when in a menu?

Cliff Draper Cliff.Draper at Sun.COM
Tue Dec 16 14:48:10 EST 2003

From: Alan Snyder <ax763 at yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 18:40:15 -0800 (PST)
> I'm setting up a box in the kitchen with an LCD
> display (might make one of those crafty EPIA toasters
> or something).  Of course I don't want a screensaver
> when watching any sort of video, but I'd like to blank
> the LCD screen when in a menu in order to save on lamp
> time.  Is there a way to do this?  Enable the system
> screensaver through system calls?  Blank the screen
> directly from myth?  It has to be a true blank, not a
> black screen, so that the lamp turns off.

I made some changes to my 0.12 system and currently have screen saver
support.  It works great.  Screen savers are suspended while playing
video, but while paused or in a menu, a screen saver may become
active.  I have it working with the 3 screen savers that I'm familiar
with: basic X screen blanking, DPMS, and xscreensaver.  The latter
looks great and is what I'm primarily using (I have it setup to go
thru 20 minutes of pretty screen savers and then do a DPMS screen
off).  DPMS is likely what you want, where you can suspend the monitor
and/or turn it off.

I've been meaning to find time to port my changes to the current CVS
version, and then send in a diff.  Let me know if you're interested in
just the 0.12 diff.

regards,
Cliff Draper    Sun Microsystems, Forte Tools
My opinions may or may not reflect those of my employer.
"Liberties are not given, they are taken."         Aldous Huxley