[mythtv-users] Sigma Designs X-Card

Michael Janer michael at janernet.com
Tue Dec 16 14:35:21 EST 2003

> This is good to know, but I am not sure I would really want to try encoding
>AND decoding at the same time on one card. This would require a LOT of
>hardware horsepower, and I am not sure the resulting quality would be
>acceptable for either function when done simultaneously.

You don't seem to understand.  There is no issue of alot of horsepower.  This card was designed specifically to handle this type of task, and without breaking a sweat.  There's a big difference between having a software encoder working the cpu even harder while it's trying to decode at the same time, and this card.  Whether or not you are just encoding, or decoding, or both, the card works the same.

>  This would put less stress on idividual hardware and their drivers. Separate
>drivers for each function can be more heavily tweaked without having to worry
>about compromising functionality.

Don't make assumtions about things like this.  In the compter world, things either work or they don't.  They do what they are assigned to do and thats it.  The only way you put more stress on something is if you use it more.  You do more harm to your card every time you power your computer on, than you do using it.
  The 350 encodes 720X480 in crystal clear quality, and just as well as the PVR 250.  Might I add that these two cards are touted as the best in the industry right now, with the exception to HD cards and ones above the $1000 mark.

My point is, your Xcard will not work with MythTv, and the PVR 350 gives you two cards in one.  There is no difference in quality between it and the 250, and you get a supported decoder which works very well.

Honer