[mythtv-users] Sigma Designs X-Card

Torsten Schenkel torsten.schenkel at web.de
Tue Dec 16 14:29:21 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-16 at 20:13, Dale Weber wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 December 2003 10:42 am, Michael Janer wrote:
> > Yes you can use both encode and decode at the same time.  What would be the
> > point of the card otherwise. Honer
>
> 	This is good to know, but I am not sure I would really want to try encoding
> AND decoding at the same time on one card.  This would require a LOT of
> hardware horsepower, and I am not sure the resulting quality would be
> acceptable for either function when done simultaneously.

Well, then it HAS a lot of hardware horsepower, obviously ;-)

Earnestly it's no problem at all, no quality degradation when doing both
at the same time. It has some problems when doing the third thing it
does: Displaying the framebuffer, but that's a driver related issue with
interrupt handling and driver threads.

The Sigma card might be interesting for YUV overlay, hardware scaling,
but as you found out:

> Alas, there are no Linux drivers for the X-Card,
> and from what I read, Sigma is not a very Linux friendly company. :(

Torsten
--
Config files for PVR350 TV-Out:
http://www-isl.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de/~hi93/ivtv-pvr-350-conf.tgz