[mythtv-users] Hardware Advice

James Orr james at orrwhat.net
Tue Dec 16 10:46:12 EST 2003

Hi,

I'm looking to build a PVR system.

I was looking at this for the case/motherboard:
http://shop.pcconnection.com/web/Shopping/Product.htm?MSCSProfile=&NRMODE=Published&NRORIGINALURL=%2fweb%2fshopping%2fproduct%2ehtm%3fproduct_id%3d464936%26SourceID%3dk15506&SourceID=k15506&product_id=464936&NRNODEGUID=%7bC03E868D-1CEF-4F98-8F00-45BF12FCEA4E%7d&NRQUERYTERMINATOR=1&cookie%5Ftest=1

With a PVR-350 for video in and out.  With this I should be able to
purchase a low-speed processor, correct?  How much memory would be good?

One thing that concerns me is the 180W power supply.

I have some questions about MythTV as well:

I have a motorola digital cable box (ComCast).  I can't see a model
number on it anywhere, but i've googled and seen some people have been
able to control motorola boxes with a serial cable and I do have a
serial port on the back of the box so I am hopeful.

At first I would like to control the box via serial cable, but at
somepoint I would possibly add a second capture card (probably without a
tuner) and record digital cable shows with that card, and then be able
to simultanously record basic cable channels with the 350 tuner.  My
question is, does MythTV support different channel lineups for different
capture devices, or will it try to capture digital channels with the 350
tuner (which obviously won't work)?

Another question is about conflict resolution.  Let's say I want to
watch Alias and The Sopranos (both Sunday at 9 PM).  Now Alias is only
on once, but The Sopranos is also on again in 3 hours on HBO Pacific.
Will it automatically record Alias first, then the Sopranos later or
will I have to spell it out?

--
James Orr <james at orrwhat.net>