[mythtv-users] Jarod's guide- ivtv, QMYSQL3 driver not loaded, mythtvuser cannot run setup

Michael Starks mythtv at michaelstarks.com
Tue Dec 16 09:32:44 EST 2003

>The hardware encoder has nothing to do with playback. Playback is done
>entirely in software.

Ok, I think I'm starting to understand what's going on here.  It has been a
comedy of seemingly unrelated errors/problems combines with my not
understanding basic definitions.

Originally, I tried KnoppMyth V4 on a Soyo barebones system I had put
together.  When it worked, it was working pretty well.  The video looked
good and wasn't choppy.  This was a Duron 950Mhz/256MB RAM.

Because of the green screen problem I didn't know how to resolve and because
I wanted to do more than Myth with this server, I decided to use RH9/with
the guide on a Celeron 1.2Ghz/384MB RAM Dell 500sc.

This lead to two problems; the permissions issue which was fixed by not
using the Bastille script and the choppy video.  I think the confusion has
been that I've seen posts where people claim you don't need much of a
machine at all if you have a PVR-250.  I think I am mistaken now when I
assumed that xv support was provided by the ivtv driver, when in fact it's
something provided by XFree86.  Is that about right?

It must be that my *onboard* video (since the only video adaptor card
installed is the 250) does not have xv support.  And since the 250 only has
a hardware encoder, not a decoder, my 1.2Ghz just isn't up to snuff without
xv support to decode the live TV buffer.

Looking back at my KnoppMyth trial, it must have been that this system had
xv support for the onboard video and/or the lighter window manager helped.

Assuming all of this is correct, I could have saved a lot of my time and
other's time with a more fundamental understanding of the definitions for
each piece.

To that end, perhaps my contribution to the Myth project (hosted by yours
truly) will be a "Myth Dictionary" that explains in laymen's terms the
language used most often on this list.  If I start putting something like
this together it might help someone confounded by all of these
conversations.  I know it would have saved me and those that have helped me
time.  I'm willing to get it going and host it.  Would other people be
willing to contribute plain-English definitions?