[mythtv-users] Re: mythtv-users Digest, Vol 11, Issue 68

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Dec 16 03:07:10 EST 2003

On Dec 15, 2003, at 04:52, Peter Lee wrote:

> Hmm...I don't recall a frontend option like that, but I'll check that
> this
> evening when I get home.  And yes, I did enable the spdif output, using
> gnome-alsamixer.  The thing is, I am failing to get output from either
> the
> headphone line-out or the spdif-out on the soundblaster (except when I
> use
> mplayer)...

Is your audio output device in mythfrontend set correctly? (i.e., to
/dev/dsp or whatever dsp is associated with that card?). If you still
have the config for the first card in your system, the second card is
probably using /dev/dsp1 (/dev/dsp links to /dev/dsp0, I believe),
which you need to tell MythTV to use as its audio out device.

> On Dec 15, 2003, at 00:00:02, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 14, 2003, at 19:26, Peter Lee wrote:
>>
>>> I hesitate to ask this question, because I am dead-certain that it
>>> has
>>> already been addressed before.  But an afternoon of grep'ing around
>>> failed
>>> to turn up the answer...
>>>
>>> I have recently installed 0.12 on RH9, using Jarod's instructions
>>> (wow
>>> ---
>>> are they ever *great* instructions!  No issues at all and the whole
>>> install,
>>> for a relative newbie, took less than an hour after RH9 was
>>> installed).  The
>>> machine is using a pvr-250 for encoding and running on an XP1800+ on
>>> an Asus
>>> A7N8X-X motherboard.  Initially I was using the onboard audio, but
>>> since the
>>> machine also has a SoundBlaster Live! card, I decided to install
>>> alsa,
>>> with
>>> the idea of using SBLive's spdif output through my a/v receiver.
>>>
>>> Now, the problem: I am not getting any audio from the SBLive line-out
>>> when I
>>> run mythtv.  Note, however, that (1) I *do* get audio from the
>>> motherboard's
>>> onboard line-out (and in fact that is how I have been watching mythtv
>>> for
>>> the past few days), and (2) I *do* get audio from the SBLive line-out
>>> when I
>>> run mplayer.
>>>
>>> What is going on here?  I suspect that there is something simple in
>>> the
>>> setup that I've neglected, but I haven't been able to figure it out.
>>> And
>>> from reading the archives, I suspect that this is a much simpler

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...
     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/