[mythtv-users] Live TV ("Waited 2 seconds...") freeze does not occur when using mpeg4

Alan Snyder ax763 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 15 21:33:03 EST 2003

--- bobnvic at everestkc.net wrote:
> Alan Snyder wrote:
> > Playing with settings, I found that my Athlon
> 1.0GHz
> > box
> > uses less CPU doing live TV with mpeg4 (480x480,
> all
> > else
> > set to defaults) than it does with mjpeg.
> >
> > I also found that the "Waited 2 seconds..." live
> TV
> > freeze
> > that I'd had both on my main box and on Knoppmyth
> v4
> > playing from my main backend no longer happened.
> >
> > Could this freeze problem be a problem with the
> mjpeg
> > libs?
>
> I have bttv encoding to mpeg4, but I usually get the
> "Waited
> 2 seconds..." in LiveTV on my PVR-250 (same specific
> problem
> you describe below).
>
> > I thought they were part of libavformat and
> therefore
> > should
> > work the same for everyone, not
> distribution-dependent
> > but
> > It sounds like everyone with this *specific*
> problem
> > (live
> > TV only, backend runs fine, frontend spits out
> "Waited
> > 2
> > seconds..." message repeatedly) might be running
> > Mandrake.
>
> But you just said up above that you also had this
> error
> with KnoppMyth.

Because it happened with both the frontend on my main
box and with Knoppmyth, I've been figuring the problem
was in the backend (e.g., stopped sending data).  Some
people indicated that they had this problem more often
with noisy video signals.  A saturated CPU is not a
likely reason.  A faulty video compression function
that never returns could be.