[mythtv-users] Need for a real forum?

Terje Kvernes terjekv at math.uio.no
Mon Dec 15 18:09:49 EST 2003

"Oxygen" <oxygen at asisard.com> writes:

  [ ... ]

> Every reply should be posted at the end of the first or last message
> without removing it so if someone never got the first original
> message or the last message posted it can continue to understand the
> conversation (even if people don't do it like this, it should be
> done like this).

  eh?  you have a references header to deal with threads.  if you
  don't use a mailer with threads, it's your choice.  in a webbased
  forum, you don't have a choice.

  I get something over 1500 emails a day to may main account, which I
  check from home or work as it pleases me, and everything is stored
  under the same repository.  I only run my email program on one box,
  and use X forwarding or console mode depending on the available
  bandwidth.

> Some people also might respond to the same question with the same
> answer due to email not being instant.

  duplicate replies happens on forums as well, since they take time to
  write.  it works well enough for usenet and for mailinglists for
  basically every single project of any size out there.

> Its a waste of bandwidth and overall internet resources (witch is
> pretty irresponsible IMHO) due to the fact that everyone gets
> everything, not just the topic or subject but the whole message, and
> lots of those emails get deleted because the topic is a-.) Not of
> the user interest. b-) Not of the user knowledge. And its also a
> waste of bandwidth due to the first 2 things i noted why its
> inefficient.

  a forum is just as wasteful since it takes a lot more time to
  navigate and use.  also, you have to poll a forum for updates, which
  is a _really_ bad thing.

> But this is my $0.002 in te conversation, and i will keep reading
> the mailing list if there isnt a better, more organized way of
> reading about MythTV info.

  mailing lists _are_ organized and IMHO the only better option is
  usenet.

  the best option by far is a NNTP backend with an SMTP and a web
  interface, if anyone feels like taking the time to do it properly.
  ;-)

--
Terje