[mythtv-users] Personal Choices

Dale Weber linuxgeek at thedynaplex.net
Mon Dec 15 03:31:51 EST 2003

On Monday 15 December 2003 12:07 am, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:
> On Dec 14, 2003, at 15:06, Philippe Daoust wrote:
> > I'm confused...  The X-Box Linux website
> > (http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net/news_archive.php) recently announced
> > support for 480p and 720p HDTV modes.  Is this because Myth doesn't
> > actually
> > take full advantage of the HW on the XBOX?
>
> They can output those modes, meaning you can spit out a 480p or 720p
> progressive scan signal to your HDTV. But just because they can display
> those modes doesn't mean they can decode an HD stream. It simply means
> you can have a nice 1280x720p modeline outputting everything to your HD
> display from your X-Box Linux system. For example, I output a 960x540p
> signal from my MythTV box through a VGA->Component Video adapter for
> everything (desktop, shell, mythfrontend, dvd playback, etc.), but
> that's just the video signal, it isn't an HD stream. I can decode an HD
> stream and display it over that signal, producing a very good picture,
> but my processor is an Athlon XP 2600, and is being heavily taxed by
> that process.

	OK, if I am understanding this correctly, when I set up X to use my 53" HDTV
set, I can set these HD resolutions for the screens.  Is that correct?  I
need to get one of those VGA to component adapters.  Do DVI to component
adapters exist?  I'd rather not use the extra adapter to adapt the DVI output
of the second head of my Matrox G550 to VGA before adding the component
adapter.  The box I am currently running Myth (backend and frontend) on has
an Athlon XP 2100+ CPU and 512 Meg of DDR RAM.

> Long story short, being able to do an HD display mode doesn't mean you
> can decode HD content. The X-Box is more or less a PIII-733 with a 64MB
> GeForce 3 and 64 MB of system memory, if my own memory serves me right.
> Linux takes advantage of it as well as it can. The system just flat-out
> doesn't have enough juice to do anything HD. DVD, yes, but DVD is about
> 1/4 the resolution of a full HD stream.

	Hmmm, I have a system here with slightly better specs than what the X-Box
has, except for video..  Does that mean it may be possible to run a backend
on this box of mine?  It has 192 Meg of SDRAM and a Pentium 3/733 Mhz CPU. I
would not think this would be peppy enough to do recording, but might serve
as a nice little frontend box.

	8-Dale
--
The Dynaplex Network - http://www.thedynaplex.org
We support Open Source 100% with Linux and FreeBSD!