[mythtv-users] Remote Control Units

Harry Orenstein ho_9 at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 14 22:20:32 EST 2003

John,

Bingo!  The Hauppauge IR receiver will only recognize RC-5
protocol.  This means (in general) Philips, Magnavox and
Marantz remotes (or universal remotes that emulate them).

After some searching I think the best overall choice for the
money is the URC-6012 by One-for-All.  It has keys for all
the menu functions (menu, guide, info, exit), arrow keys,
PIP commands, fast rewind and fast fast forward (which
can be used as replay and skip).

Best of all, this remote can emulate a Philips remote and
you can remap any of the keys that don't send codes in
the emulation to send valid RC-5 commands.  If you are
interested, I have config files that support all keys on the
remote with RC-5 codes and assign them to Myth functions.

Oh, BTW: it costs $14 and is available at WalMart.

If you are interested in using the Hauppauge IR receiver
with a univeral remote (and you want to go another way
than I have described) you will probably need to get the
full RC-5 devices lircd.conf file from lirc.org (I posted to
another thread previously with this info, not sure if it was
this list or the ivtv-users list).  This file contains ALL
RC-5 codes and if you run a universal remote emulating
an RC-5 device with this lircd.conf running irw you will be
able to see what codes need to be mapped in an
lircd.conf file specific to your universal remote.

Hope this helps!!  Post again if you have more questions.

-- Harry O.