[mythtv-users] Personal Choices

Dan Sully daniel at electricrain.com
Sun Dec 14 19:14:34 EST 2003

* Jarod C. Wilson <jcw at wilsonet.com> shaped the electrons to say...

> Again, you're correct, tuners go in the backend. But you can also have
> tuners in multiple backends, and frontends running on systems with or
> without local backends... Yeah, it can be a tad confusing! ;)

I was also a bit confused on that - perhaps it can be made more clear in the docs.

> I think a bare minimum system to be able to play back a High-Def stream
> is around 1.8GHz with hardware-assistance (from a GF4MX or FX series
> card), but even that is less than perfect. One of the pcHDTV gurus on
> the list recommends a bare minimum of a 2.6GHz system, but preferably a
> 3.0GHz P4 w/HyperThreading. (For reference, the X-Box has a paltry
> 733MHz processor).

Since an ATSC/HDTV stream is just MPEG2 (TS/PS), shouldn't a PVR-350 be able to offload the CPU?

I was considering having a EPIA M10000 as my front end, with the backend
having a pcHDTV card and the storage array. But if the EPIA isn't up to it
even with a 350, I'll need to reconsider.

Thanks.

-D
--
It does not do to leave a live Dragon out of your calculations..