[mythtv-users] Questions / Ideas for Semi-Advanced MythTv Setup

Darren Mak mythtv at digitalweb.ca
Sun Dec 14 12:32:59 EST 2003

Thanks for your responses...

Slimp3 player sounds like a great idea, but price is kinda pricey for what I
want to do, and the fact that I am running sound out through amp in the
Great Room, to other rooms in the house. Not sure how other's wives are, but
if I spend $300 on something out of the box mine gets mad, but if I piece
together something that costs me $450 instead she is OK with it. Probably
because it does not show up on the VISA statement.

So here is my new thinking... Stop me if what I am saying does not make
sense, or if there is a "better" way.

1. I will take a low-end computer I have kicking around, and set it up as a
MP3 file server and player. (Partly because I don't want the MP3s to take up
space on my main myth backend and to avoid sound card issues)

2. I will install a mp3 jukebox software on this Mp3 server that I can
control and initiate a song to play via a wireless device via html. Has
anyone used any that they would recommend?

3. Can I still link my mythbackend to the files on the MP3 server and play
them through Myth where I have frontends setup? Or...

4. Should I setup this MP3 server as a second myth backend that I also run a
different MP3 jukebox software on as well.

I guess ideally I would like to have this be an extension to myth so I could
still use all the functionality of myth but also have this thin MP3 frontend
that is controlled via html. My programming skills are less than nil so I
cannot create something myself, but maybe this could lead to an integration
of an existing jukebox into myth somehow. Does this interest anyone else?

Darren