[mythtv-users] Personal Choices

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sun Dec 14 06:28:53 EST 2003

On Dec 14, 2003, at 03:04, Myth Man wrote:

>   Is the choice of running RH9 or Debian for the Myth Setup meerly a
>   personal choice?

For the most part, yes.

> Or are there advantages and/or disadvantages to
>   one or the other, as far as operation, availability and support.

Linux is Linux is Linux. Sort of. Some distros have handy pre-compiled
packages for everything, some don't. There are some cases where drivers
are only available for one platform or another, but generally, whatever
you can do on one, you can do on another (at least with respect to
MythTV). I'm rather partial to Red Hat/Fedora myself. Long story short,
if you have a distribution you really like and you're comfortable with,
try to use that one.

>   I am building a P4 machine with a 240 GIG Raid Drive and 1 GIG of
>   RAM.  Is this beefy enough to run as a backend with 3 tuners?

Plenty of beef, and then some. My Athlon XP 2600 w/512MB of RAM and a
single 250GB drive can handle 3 tuners just fine.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...