[mythtv-users] x-box as a frontend?

wishbone at h4b.org wishbone at h4b.org
Sat Dec 13 17:26:18 EST 2003

Check out Dennis' site here:
http://bit.blkbk.com/
He's put together some pretty good instructions on this stuff.  As for running
the frontend without the backend, I'm not sure it will even load without the
backend running.  In the previous versions it would not, but I know they put in
some more code to make the frontend respond a little bit better when it can't
find the backend.  So I'm not sure there's much you can do without a working
backend to really test anything.

If you check Dennis's site you'll see his description on the swap stuff.  But
yes, you basically throw it on one of the xbox drives and reference it from the
fstab (like you normally would in linux).  Obviously you'll have to change that
before you build you boot cd (again check that page for info on that).

You can still run a boot cd with the evox dashboard.  Just boot the CD like you
would a xbox game.  No problems there.  What I did was install the distro
Dennis put together directly to disc and then referenced the default.xbe from
the dashboard ini file.  So I have another option on my dashboard to "load
linux/myth".  Works very nice, but the CD systems works just as well it's just
a bit slower (for obvious reason).

goodluck,
joshua