[mythtv-users] Distributed Myth

Brian C. Lane bcl at brianlane.com
Sat Dec 13 11:12:24 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 13:59, Dale Weber wrote:

> 	I think I solved the problem though.  I'm not sure WHY this seens to have
> fixed it, but it did.  I added an alias in my DNS for
> 'mythtv.home.thedynaplex.net' which currently also points to the same IP as
> 'db.home.thedynaplex.net' and things seem to be working now.  I call my myth
> box 'mythtv' and my database box 'db' which is currently the same box.
>
> 	Maybe myth doesn't like using the same name as any other host, for some
> reason.  The COULD be the same and it should work fine, but it doesn't seem
> to.

MySQL can sometimes be a bit picky as to what it thinks your host name
is. The best way to check is to look at the logfile and see what
hostname MySQL thinks you are coming from. When doing things locally you
sometimes have to adjust /etc/hosts's 127.0.0.1 line to put localhost
first.

Telnetting to port 3306 is also helpful, since most current
distributions block access to the IP port from the outside.

Brian

---[Office 69.8F]--[Fridge 36.3F]---[Fozzy 90.6F]--[Coaster 70.2F]---
Linux Software Developer http://www.brianlane.com