[mythtv-users] Fedora with Jarod's instructions?

steve at nexusuk.org steve at nexusuk.org
Fri Dec 12 19:06:27 EST 2003

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:

> The stock Fedora kernel already has the low latency patch, not sure
> about the preempt patch. I'm contemplating trying Arjan's 2.6-test
> kernels out of his apt repo myself...

The stock Fedora kernel does indeed have the lowlatency patch, but not the
preempt patch.  The preempt patch seems to help things a lot.

I did try Arjan's 2.6 kernel and I found the performance of Myth under it
absolutely abysmal, so I'm keeping clear of 2.6 on my Myth box ATM.

> How "huge" is this difference between the stock FC kernel and your own?

A very marked improvement - watching LiveTV (RTJpeg, quality 200 with PCM
audio) was really bad under the stock kernel - lots of dropped frames,
frequently a complete loss of AV sync, etc.  Now it's almost flawless
(having a problem with playback freezing for a few seconds sometimes ATM
but I don't think that's kernel related).

> Also, what hardware are you seeing the "huge" difference on? I'm
> doubtful the instantaneity of my Athlon XP 2600 will get any more
> instantaneous. :) I believe the real benefits will show better on
> lesser hardware.

:)
I'm running a Athlon XP 2000+ with BTTV card, outputting onto the onboard
S3 ProSavage VGA card.  (I decided to not go above the 2000 to keep the
temperature (and fan noise) down, also I'm thinking of getting a PVR 250
at some point so CPU usage won't be such an issue then anyway).

I'm still running Myth 0.12, so an upgrade to 0.13 is on the cards this
weekend, and I've got been given some technical data on the VGA card so
hopefully I can add vblank interrupt support to the DRM driver this
weekend too and get Myth syncing with the vblank properly.

--

 - Steve                                             http://www.nexusuk.org/

        *** Presented in DoubleVision (Where Drunk) - Futurama ***