[mythtv-users] D.Vine series 5's VFD

Dan Conti dconti at acm.wwu.edu
Fri Dec 12 17:16:42 EST 2003

If you really want to work on such a project, and no spec sheet is
available from ahanix, you can go here:
http://www.linux-usb.org/tools.html

and get snoopy pro, which will let you snoop usb traffic. You can then
issue a few commands via girder and reverse engineer the protocol.

Once you have the protocol figured out, there is a usb_skel driver in the
linux kernel that you can use which basically implements all the API for a
usb device; you just need to populate read, write, and ioctl operations. I
dont know how LCD devices are used typically under linux, but that will
probably guide how you implement those few routines.

For something like this, if you already have a windows box and know a
little bit about kernel programming, you could probably bust it out in a
day or two.

-Dan