[mythtv-users] PDA Remotes

Jesper Rasmussen jr at d6.dk
Fri Dec 12 09:16:09 EST 2003

I have tried to use the IPaq as IR remote control, thought I as not
impressed with the range. I had to point the IPaq quite directly at the
reciever, and if i moved further away in the room it could not reach.
Also often you  would have a couch table in front of you, and if the
reciever is low you would niid to raise you  hand and point the remote down.
With a normal remote that is not a problem, but with a IPaq where you
would want to actually look at the screen it is not as practical.

The aproach I would go for would be to have a client on the IPaq and use
wifi to talk myth.

I tried to access myth via VNC from the ipaq which worked, though QUITE
sluggish, and when the ipaaq goes into powersave mode it looses
connection ofc.

Ah yes and another small problem of not having an esc key on the ipaq
kinda limited the use ;) though i presume this would be solved by the
.13 custom kebinding feature.

So this all leads to a Client on the IPaq, which as I see it could be
done in two ways.

a) socket lirc based
b) let mythweb publish more controls like stop and play audio and the like.
c) "myth frontend"

a) would be simple to implement, but would ofcourse be a one way thing.
b) quite easy and nothing has to be done on IPaq
c) would allow you to display information on the ipaq, and have more
direct control, and "knobs and dials" than (b) (same old "web ui vs app
ui" story). I dont want the frontend to eq show the video or play the
music, merly control the frontend on the pc.

Ultimately I would be in favor of (c), though ifcourse this would be the
moste work to do. Hmm this is probalby a faq, but is the comunication
schema between the frontend and backend documented somewhere?

(b) would probably be the fastest one to make, if it is not in the workd
allready.

cheers
Jesper