[mythtv-users] Fedora with Jarod's instructions?

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Dec 12 02:41:47 EST 2003

On Dec 11, 2003, at 13:22, steve at nexusuk.org wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 Jonathon.Schmidt at sasktel.sk.ca wrote:
>
>> Im building a new box, and since RH is dying to make way for Fedora I
>> was
>> going to use this.
>
> Works for me - my new myth box runs fedora, although I compiled a new
> kernel to make it work better (vanilla 2.4.23 kernel with the
> lowlatency
> and preempt patch - makes a huge difference to the performance).

The stock Fedora kernel already has the low latency patch, not sure
about the preempt patch. I'm contemplating trying Arjan's 2.6-test
kernels out of his apt repo myself...

How "huge" is this difference between the stock FC kernel and your own?
I know the FC1 kernel is an improvement over the RHL9 kernel, though I
don't have any problems to speak of as it is...

Also, what hardware are you seeing the "huge" difference on? I'm
doubtful the instantaneity of my Athlon XP 2600 will get any more
instantaneous. :) I believe the real benefits will show better on
lesser hardware.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...