[mythtv-users] raw ac3 out the S/PDIF ?

John P. Poet john at BlueSkyTours.com
Thu Dec 11 17:16:54 EST 2003

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Nelson Butterworth wrote:

> I was having problems in modifying MythTV's mplayer command line to get
> AC3 output, so I switched to Xine and made all the configurations there.
> Xine saves all config options, so they don't have to be re-entered upon
> each launch. I watched a DVD with it the other night, and it worked
> perfectly. Besides, Xine has much better support of DVD navigation menus.

How do you modify MythTV's mplayer command line?  How would you switch to
using Xine?

I am currently struggling with an HDTV stream not DVD, put I will want DVD
to work at some point.

> As far as getting the output enabled, it's a bit tricky. Run alsamixer
> from a prompt, and use the left and right arrow keys to find the slider
> called IEC958 Playback AC97-SPSA. Unmute this ("M" key), but leave the
> volume at 0! For some reason, this mixer works in reverse. Now, once you
> get your mplayer AC3 passthrough issues worked out, just give up and
> switch to Xine, you should be all set.

I will take a look at those settings.  They must be mostly right, though,
since I get proper audio out of mplayer, external to MythTV.

Thanks,

John