[mythtv-users] Close to functional, few problems

Torsten Schenkel torsten.schenkel at web.de
Thu Dec 11 16:55:25 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 22:21, James Pifer wrote:
> OK, so you have the pvr350's tv-out connected to your TV and see the
> > myth-gui, correct?
> Yes.
>
> If I run mythbackend as a service and try to watch TV I get the following error scrolling across the screen:
> QSocketDevice::writeBlock: Invalid socket
> 2003-12-11 16:08:07 Error writing stringlist
> Remote encoder not responding.

Backend and Frontend are on the same machine? I don't know this message,
maybe someone with more knowledge about the code does. But it definitely
isn't a read permission problem.

> When I start mythbackend as a service it looks like yours, with root
> being owner and group, but mythfrontend can't connect to it. If I kill
> it and start it with the mythtv user, then it does connect. I'll keep
> playing with fstab.

Don't know if this is necessary, since your permissions seem to be
correct if the file is world readable.

> > You aren't running the video through the pvr's decoder, instead myth
> > tries to display it on the framebuffer, which is WAY to slow.
> >
> > Go to Settings/TV-Settings and tick the "Use PVR350 hardware decoder"
> > checkbox. (Don't know the exact naming ATM, but you shouldn't have
> > problems finding it, make sure the output device is set to your
> > decoder's device, usually /dev/video16)

> You were right it wasn't checked, BUT, it didn't help. I still get the
> same error. I even went so far as to drop the whole database and go
> through mythtvsetup again. Still does the same thing.

The SAME error? That's odd. But I don't know, what mythtv says when the
device has the wrong permissions.

Redhat has some very peculiar permission defaults, as resetting
ownership of devices, depending of which user logs in at the console.
This led to many problems for me, since all the groups and permissions I
set were ignored by the system. I didn't like that and installed debian
on the mythbox.

While it was a redhat box (cle266 binaries needed) I had mythback and
frontend running as root. You might want to test if it works for root
and fiddle around later. In order to get autologin you always can login
as mythtv-user and start mythfrontend via sudo.

Torsten
--
Config files for PVR350 TV-Out:
http://www-isl.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de/~hi93/ivtv-pvr-350-conf.tgz