[mythtv-users] Channels and digital cable box integration?

steve at nexusuk.org steve at nexusuk.org
Thu Dec 11 16:13:27 EST 2003

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Jim wrote:

> Can any of the available tuner/capture cards integrate with a digital cable
> box? By that, I mean change the cable box's channel. I have an old RePlayTV
> unit, and it can change the cable box through an Infrared blaster or a
> serial connection. Is that type of functionality available for MythTV
> setups?

Yes, this works very well - you can set myth to use an external script to
change channel and the external script then uses LIRC to send the IR
commands (see my reply on Slashdot, I've got the scripts and LIRC config
I use for my Sky Digital box on my website.
http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=88723&cid=7680125)

I also have a script running on my Myth box that sends the "backup" remote
control button press every 5 seconds to get rid of the annoying red dot
that channels like Sky, C4, E4, etc insist on overlaying in the top-right.

--

 - Steve                                             http://www.nexusuk.org/

        *** Presented in DoubleVision (Where Drunk) - Futurama ***