[mythtv-users] Re:Developer suggestion for MythInternetRadio?

Alan Snyder ax763 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 11 14:06:22 EST 2003

> Various radio stations use various formats,
> including wmp9 and ra.  I believe that aplay
> plays them all.  I have two wmp format public
> stations set up (note: aplay's auto-detection
> of station format doesn't always work but
> stations play fine if you determine which
> codec to specify on the command line).
>
> Does mplayer play all these formats as well?
> Is implementation as simple as implementing
> a radio link capability within mythmusic?
> You couldn't use straight url's if auto format
> detection doesn't work reliably, but you
> could use
>
>http://station.org/ra/live.ram?!mpargs=xxx
>
>and have mythmusic strip off everything from
>?!mpargs= and pass them to mplayer (or aplay).

DUH.  Realized after sending that mythmusic calls
decoding libraries, not mplayer.  So the pass-to-
mplayer (or aplay or ...) is like mythvideo not
mythmusic.  Since radio playing doesn't logically
belong with video, a separate module, with
a database table of urls, station names and
decoder options makes the most sense.

What also makes sense with audio-only is to not
kill the player when using other modules, until
another module needs the audio.  Allowing this
would require keeping an Audio_PID variable and
adding the needed kill wherever it's needed.
Could that be handled without the need to patch
every module that needs the audio, or patching
just their xml?