[mythtv-users] Re:Transcoding advice (long)

Andy check_1_2 at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 11 13:02:35 EST 2003

So... Did some experimenting last night.

Tried to use nuvextract on several different tv recordings that were in
MPEG-2 format. All had a/v sync issues.
I then copied nuvextract and tried editing some of the transcoding
parameters.
Tried using transcode (to XviD) instead of ffmpeg, and once I had it
configured correctly, it also transcoded with a/v sync issues.

So I have determined the the transcoder is not the problem.

Tried adding the --fifosync (or is it --syncfifo?) option to the
mythtranscode command line. It seems to hang after transcoding a small
portion. I expect the --fifosync option is not valid.

I was beginning to think the separate video and audio streams that
mythtranscode were causing the problem.

Then I tried using the internal transcode (pressing "X" while watching a
recording) to MPEG-4 format.
After it was done, it played fine in Myth with no sync problems.

I then ran nuvexport on the transcoded files, and what do you know? No sync
problems! (But terrible picture quality, of course!) So in this case, it's
not the separate audio/video streams. It must have something to do with the
original format of the recording.

I wish I knew how to fix this to get the audio and video in sync.

I think I'll start a new thread to see if ANYONE has had success in
nuvexport-ing to DivX from an MPEG-2 file.

-Andy.