[mythtv-users] Close to functional, few problems

Nathan Langley nathan at viptx.net
Thu Dec 11 11:13:44 EST 2003

James Pifer wrote:

>I've been struggling for quite a while to try and get my MythTV box the
>way I want it. I'm very close now, can see light at the end of the
>tunnel. I do have a few issues. My setup is a PIII 1Ghz, 512RAM, 160
>GHD, and a PVR-350 using TVOut.
>
>1) If I start mythbackend as a service the frontend is unable to
>connect. When it starts as a service all the rights for ringbuf1.nuv are
>for root. If I start it manually as the mythtv user, then the rights are
>mythtv's. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Make sure the mythtv owns the binary file (chown mythtv.users
/usr/local/bin/mythbackend) then do chmod +s /usr/local/bin/mythbackend

Now when you run it in as a service it will run as mythtv.

Nathan Langley                                        http://nathan.higheriq.com/
Senior Software Engineer                              nathan at viptx.net
Victoria Internet Providers                           http://www.viptx.net/