[mythtv-users] radioshack 15-2116

Nelson Butterworth red_five at charter.net
Thu Dec 11 00:07:40 EST 2003

IvanK. wrote:

>Jim,
>
>in another message from today Nelson wrote thus:
>
><quote>
>I am using an RCA RCU-810 remote, which is completely compatible with
>all the One-For-All (OFA) remotes. I have it working beautifully with
>the PVR-x50 receiver.
></quote>
>
>That tells me he's using it with the pvr-x50's receiver.
>
>IvanK.
>
>On Wednesday 10 December 2003 01:26 pm, Jim Chandler wrote:
>

>>Nelson,
>>
>>Are you using the IR receiver portion of the PVR-x50, or did you have to
>>build a separate IR receiver to support this remote?

Yes, I am indeed using the 350's receiver, no separate receiver needed
here. The device code 0081 (or 0098 in the case of the RCU-810) is an
RC5 code, and it was the only Philips/Magnavox code I was able to find
that actually worked with the receiver. The IR dongle wouldn't even pick
up the other codes I tried, even though they were Philips.

As for getting some further buttons programmed without using the JP1 and
a cable and software, it's not too difficult. The default button layout
for this code has all the commands mapped to all the correct buttons.
There are a couple of minor problems, however, which can be circumvented
easily. Here are the problems:
1. The Menu and Guide buttons send the same IR code.
2. Likewise with CH+ and Up arrow, and CH- and Down arrow.
3. PIP, Swap, and Enter send nothing whatsoever.

One of the nifty features of most One-For-All-based remotes (including
the RCU-810 and most RS models) is that you're not limited to the codes
sent by the buttons. Most device codes have advanced button codes, which
can be accessed, tested, and mapped to buttons, without resorting to the
cables. The Code Select button just north of dead center acts as a shift
button when you just tap it; if you hold it, it enters the menu system
(on the RCU and any other remote with a small LCD screen on top). For
other remotes, it'll be the Setup button, usually towards the bottom-right.

Press the device key (VCR in this case). Tap Setup/Code Select, then
follow with the 3-digit advanced button code (I'll tell you how to get
those codes in a sec.). If the code is for a volume- or channel-type
function (tracking, as well), holding the final number in the code works
like holding the volume buttons.

Once you've seen that the code is sent (LCD remotes, the little IR
indicator will show on the screen. Others, the LED up top will light up
as long as you hold the final number of the code), you can program that
code to a button. The sequence is more complicated on LCD remotes than
it is on non-LCD units, so I will include a link to the instructions
page along with the advanced code page for 0081/0098.

IvanK, I saw your post about recording the new conf file. Did you make
sure that the button names in your .lircrc file matched up with the
names you gave irrecord? Also, did you record to /etc/lircd.conf, or
copy your new file to that location?

OK, here are the links I promised above. The first one is the page for
the 0081/0098 advanced button codes, and the normal functions for those
codes when used on a Philips/Magnavox VCR.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/cgi-bin2/ueic.cgi?VCR_0081

This next one is the instructions page for programming the advanced
codes onto the button of your choice. It includes LCD and non-LCD
remotes. The set of LCD remotes does NOT include those with full-sized
touch-screens, as far as I know; only the ones with the small, 2-line
LCDs at the top of the remote face.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/advanced.shtml

OK, that should get everyone started. Of course, if you wish, you can go
ahead and use the JP1 interface to program the remote, but this also
requires some software, a couple Excel spreadsheets, and a cable. It
took me close to an hour to build my cable, not to mention figuring out
how all the software components fit in with one another, so I think this
way is simpler than the cable for this fairly easy task.

BTW, I'd be happy to post my current /etc/lircd.conf and all, but I'm
not sure how to do so and keep them from getting stripped. My conf file
is just the default buttons; I haven't added any further codes to take
care of the minor issues I mentioned above.

Sorry for the length, but there's a lot to explain here to keep it all
straight.

Nelson