[mythtv-users] Need for a real forum?

Shane Hetzel shane-lists at thehillpeople.org
Wed Dec 10 21:47:46 EST 2003

Same with Road Runner. You can't control their mail server ... but you can
control YOUR mail server.

If you're interested, it's not too hard to install a mail server on any
Linux machine. It's actually quite nice, and there are a number of ways to
do it. You only need a few pieces and a little work. Here's my setup, but
it's by no means the only way. I'm sure lots of other people on this list do
it a different way.

1) Postfix (previously Sendmail)  -  delivers to local mailboxes or sends
them off of your system
2) Fetchmail  -  set up as a cron job to literally "fetch" mail from my ISPs
POP3 account
3) Procmail  -  used to sort incoming mail into mailboxes
4) xinetd and uw-imap  -  used to allow clients to view mail on my system
5) Squirrelmail  -  a web-based mail reader (php and apache) that I can use
when I'm on a friend's computer

This setup has worked so well for me, in fact, that a few of my friends now
use it exclusively, too. I just had to set them up with user accounts.
Unfortunately, Squirrelmail doesn't handle threaded replies. Yet.

I also use my server for outgoing mail. It used to deliver direct until some
ISPs started blocking me dues to a "policy change". Whatever. I now just
have the server forward all outgoing mail to RoadRunner, and it delivers it
for me.

The final step, of course, is registering a domain name, which allows mail
to bypasses Comcast's delivery mechanisms almost completely. How does
joseph at caputoweb.net sound?

Sorry, this is getting a little off topic, but I didn't know if you realized
that you had an alternative. And even if your only Linux box is your Myth
box, you probably have more than enough horsepower left over to handle the
mail...

-Shane