[mythtv-users] RE:Sanity check for PVR-250 to DVD+R

James L. Paul james at mauibay.net
Wed Dec 10 17:21:34 EST 2003

On Wednesday 10 December 2003 08:31, Couvrette, Jeffrey C. wrote:
> I can't comment on all your settings, but my recommendation is that you
> encode at 352x480 if you're bitrate is only going to be 3500.  That way you
> have more information per pixel than if you were to double the number of
> pixels using 720x480.  If you want to use 720x480, I would suggest using a
> higher bitrate.
>

> Also, as far as I am aware, if you want to do everything in Linux and make
> DVD+R's that are playable in standalone DVD players, you will have to
> re-encode.  I follow the process shown in:

Not true. There's no need to re-encode the PVR-250 output with the settings we
are talking about. The whole point of this thread is what settings he wants
to use so as to _avoid_ needing to re-encode, and I simply confirmed his
request for a sanity check.

There's nothing about using Linux rather than some other platform that
requires you to re-encode video that is already DVD compliant. :) Likewise,
the particular type of DVD writeable disc has no bearing on the video stream
spec.

> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?post=92621

I'm not aware of anything in that thread that concludes that re-encoding would
be necessary. It's mostly us discussing the particulars of how to author a
DVD containing compliant captured video. :)