[mythtv-users] Video Scaling questions

Brian Foddy bfoddy at visi.com
Wed Dec 10 17:29:02 EST 2003

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Peter Lee wrote:

> So, my question (finally): What would be involved in implementing the
> justification mode in MythTV?  With the increasing number of widescreen
> displays, many of which don't provide justification mode, I think this might
> be a nice feature.  Unfortunately, I'm not anywhere near capable enough to
> contemplate implementing it myself (and I think it might be hard for anyone,
> actually), and furthermore I'm not 100% sure that it is a good idea overall.
>
> Comments?
>
> Peter

I would think a non-linear modification like this would be cpu intensive.
I'm sure there are better experts than I, but that would be my gut
reaction.

My rear projection tv has a similar mode, but personally I don't
like it for 2 reasons,
1.  Watching a stationary person like a new anchor, makes them have
   3 foot wide shoulders.
2.  Any panning motion creates a bizzar effect as the aspect ration
expand and contract as they move across the screen.

But, that's just my perference.  Some people hate the standard
16x9 stretch, but I quickly got used to it.  To each his/her own...

Brian