[mythtv-users] Need for a real forum?

Tako Schotanus quintesse at palacio-cristal.com
Wed Dec 10 17:12:28 EST 2003

Torsten Schenkel wrote:

>On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 19:49, Graham Siener wrote:
>
><need for forum?>
>If you want to reply on an
>old thread it's probably better to start a new one

That's a bit short-sighted because when starting a new thread you lose
all the context and information that could be found in the old thread.
Case in fact that I've seen several messages in the mythtv archives that
I might have responded to but which I didn't because just throwing in a
new message 2 months later doesn't seem to be very usefull on a mailing
list. It will also result in a fragmented archive.

>, if you reply to a current thread
>you can reply directly, so I don't miss the reply button a form provides over the archives.

Except when you've already deleted the message and later on encounter
the answer and want to tell the rest. I normally just send a messgae
with the same subject, but again you'll get the problem that the threads
will be fragmented.

>Just my two cent,

Personally I use both mailing lists and forums and both have their
strong and weak points so I do not understand the almost rabid
resistance some people have against one or the other. But I do think
that for a project should decide to use one or the other, preferable not
both so people don't have to start looking in several different places
for their answers.

-Tako