[mythtv-users] Need for a real forum?

Dave Anderson dave at ineedasite.com
Wed Dec 10 17:06:49 EST 2003

At 01:44 PM 12/10/2003, you wrote:
>On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 15:13, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> > On Wednesday 10 December 2003 13:49, Graham Siener wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > > I've been a myth user for about 4 months now, and I'm very satisfied
> > > and impressed with MythTV.  Lately I've been trying to delve deeper
> > > by using MythMusic and MythGame, etc.  I know that a mailing list was
> > > the decided form of communication, but would anyone else out there
> > > prefer a real online forum?
> > >
> > > I'm perfectly willing (and mostly able) to host such a site, and I
> > > think it would be a much more productive affair considering how
> > > popular MythTV is getting these days.  I often use
> > > http://www.gossamer-threads.com/archive/MythTV_C2/Users_F11/  instead
> > > of the mailing list, as it is much easier to read and search.
> >
> > Really?  I find it much easier & faster to search my mailbox.  But
> > you're right in that it would be nice not to have to keep old messages
> > around, not to mention having mailboxes scattered around on different
> > computers (work, home...).  Just now I searched my mailbox for a
> > message I *knew* I read in the last couple of days, and couldn't find
> > it.  After about 5 minutes of searching I realized that I'd downloaded
> > the message on my home computer, so I ssh-VNC'd over there, and voila!
> > there it was.  A PITA, though.
>
>You should look into IMAP and maybe a webmail client to check your mail
>when you're not home. I check my mail from about 4 different computers
>and I have all my mail accessible from each of them. And if I'm on
>someone else's computer, I can use the webmail.
>
>Jean-Rene Cormier
And a MythTV box could be used for this. I don't think email for one or two
persons would use too much resources. Just use fetchmail to get the email
from a pop server and then use a web based email client for when on the
road and just use imap when you are local.

Then you can access your email and schedule recording on the road.

Dave