[mythtv-users] need help with wintv-401 and myth

Patrick E. McKnight pem at theriver.com
Wed Dec 10 02:08:46 EST 2003

Thomas,

Well, there might be many areas holding you up.  Let's see where they
might be....

WinTV-DBX-401 card tends to run poorly on the rtjpeg codec, use mpeg4

  http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-dev/2002-November/001114.html

bttv version is WAY out of date.  Try upgrading to 0.9.11, see:

http://bytesex.org/bttv/

Gentoo kernel - I had problems with the 2.4.X series and many gentoo
folks suggested I upgrade to the 2.6 series.  Well, I did and I'm not
going back to the 2.4 version ever again.  The latest test series tends
to be much smoother for all aspects of the system and alsa now works
flawlessly.

Also, if you are running gentoo, I would recommend using the latest
(bleeding edge if you will) ebuilds by specifying:

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=~x86

before you run emerge.  So you can do the following to get the latest
packages:

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=~x86 emerge -up mythtv

If you have already done this then go on and we'll continue with the
configuration...

Now I assume that mysql is setup correctly but this may be presumptuous.
  Make sure you invoke the mysql command at the prompt and check the
database, tables, and layout to ensure that they correspond to the sql
files shipped with mythtv (see sql files in: /usr/share/mythtv/database).

Once you have established that mysql is running fine, make sure that
bttv is working for you in the new kernel.  I used tvtime to check out
my setup and it took a great amount of fiddling with the kernel modules
settings in:
  /etc/modules.d/alsa

and put in the following lines:

alias char-major-81 bttv
options bttv card=1 autoload=0 radio=0
post-install bttv insmod tuner type=2

Specifically, I made sure that all drivers were compiled as modules and
NOT directly into the kernel.  Also, I was using nvidia drivers for my
setup and needed to recompile the nvidia drivers each time after I
compiled the kernel.  A bit of a pain but now that I know I have to do
it I'm prepared to wait the extra 30 seconds.

Whoops, forgot one other thing.  I have two VIA boards and found that
agpart must be compiled as a module

from the gentoo forum:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=54793&highlight=agpart

/dev/agpgart (AGP Support) - MODULE
VIA chipset support - ON
Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 DRI support) - OFF
Frame-buffer support>>ATI Radeon display support (EXPERIMENTAL) - OFF

Hopefully this gets you started on the right track.  Keep with it.  I
found the challenge almost - I repeat almost - more fulfilling than the
end result.

Cheers,

Patrick