[mythtv-users] Re:Any updates to allow cutting commercials without reencoding?

Anthony Lau anthony at greyweasel.com
Tue Dec 9 17:51:37 EST 2003

On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 03:18:45PM -0700, Andy wrote:
> My understanding from reading this thread is that what you're suggesting
> wouldn't work:
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?post=86149

Just quickly scanned that thread. Avidemux(2) can read the
MPEG2 NUV files perfectly, but I don't think it can save without
re-encoding. So far, the only tool that I have used that can rapidly
do this is MPG2VCR for Windows (I can't seem to figure out TMPenc
and I don't have the MPEG2 module anymore).

For me, re-encoding is not a problem since I like to deinterlace
and add denoisers.  I also cut down the bitrates to
2200avg/2250max. Personally, I can barely tell the difference between
352x480 at 9000kbits/s and 352x480 at 2250kbits/s.  The file size savings
is huge (1500MB to 300MB). I can squeeze 14-15 half hour (22 mins)
TV shows onto 1 DVD, which works on my set top DVD player.

Unfortunately, I do my authoring in Windows since dvdauthor requires
some XML coding to get a usable DVD menu.

> Also, I am hoping for something that uses the existing cutlist that's
> already been created by mythtv.

I found editing in MythTV much harder than editing in avidemux.
The controlsi in avidemux are just better and more intuitive than
the MythTV editor.

Anthony