[mythtv-users] Begging for help with live TV freeze

Tue Dec 9 13:01:03 EST 2003

>         I have an antenna feed so some of my signals are very weak.
> I was having the freeze up far more frequently until I got rid of
> the non-existent or poor channels.
> Could noise in the input signal be the cause of all these lockups?

Yep, this is a well discussed issue with the Mythfrontend.  Quite normal, but undesirable.

> This seems odd as the recording side (mythbackend) still works fine when the lockups occur.

What happens is that the frontend only checks for other events when stuff arrives over the network socket from the backend.  If for some reason the backend stops supplying data (eg tuning failed), then the frontend waits forever for data to become available (at least that's the description I remember, I haven't checked the code).

You might want to retest with latest CVS, there has been some work done recently on the frontend backend connection.  Perhaps something has changed here...?

Good luck