[mythtv-users] Begging for help with live TV freeze

Alan Snyder ax763 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 9 07:08:00 EST 2003

--- "Patrick E. McKnight" <pem at theriver.com> wrote:
> Alan Snyder wrote:
> > A number of people, myself included, have reported
> > frontend freezes in live TV, the symptom being
> frozen
> > picture and sound, the frontend spitting out
> "Waited 2
> > seconds for data to become available, waiting
> > again...", and the backend seemingly working
> normally.

<snip>
> Let me see if I can help you here.  I too had the
> screen freezes but I
> did the following and now it no longer freezes.
> First, I originally
> compiled bttv into the kernel - big mistake.  I'm
> using 2.6.0-test11 on
> gentoo and by recompiling the bttv, btaudio, etc as
> modules, I was able
> to control the driver configs in the modules.conf
> (or whatever file you
> use to control these things).
>
> BTW, I followed the directions from:
>
> http://www.linuxlogin.com/linux/ati_tv.php
>
> and in particular I used the following (since I was
> using the ATI card
> myself):
>
> alias char-major-81 bttv
> options bttv card=1 autoload=0 radio=0
> post-install bttv insmod tuner type=2
>
> I now have some other niggling problems but I am
> getting close to having
> a full-working and stable MythTV setup.  So my
> scientific (!) wild ass
> guess is the kernel drivers.  Have you tried to load
> them at boot rather
> than compiling them in?

Hmmm... bttv was installed by my Mandrake 9.1 install
and it's always just worked.  lsmod lists

bttv                   78496   0  [lirc_gpio]
videodev                7872   3  [bttv]
i2c-algo-bit            9064   1  [bttv]
i2c-core               21192   0  [tuner bttv
i2c-algo-bit]
soundcore               6276   0  [snd bttv]

My modules.conf is

alias char-major-61 lirc_gpio
probeall usb-interface usb-uhci
above snd-via82xx snd-pcm-oss
alias eth0 3c59x
alias sound-slot-0 snd-via82xx
options bttv card=78 tuner=2 radio=1 gbuffers=4
alias /dev/nvidia*   nvidia

modules.devfs, which is auto-generated when devfs
starts, has a comment that reads

#   Sample configurations that you may want to place
in /etc/modules.conf
#
#alias          sound-slot-0            sb
#alias          /dev/v4l                bttv
#alias          /dev/misc/watchdog      pcwd
#alias          gen-md                  raid0
#alias          /dev/joysticks          joystick
#probeall       scsi_hostadapter        sym53c8xx

I'm not sure what to make of that.