[mythtv-users] Resolution

J. Lucha jim at lucha-family.org
Sun Dec 7 16:22:07 EST 2003

   James L. Paul wrote:
> For a really good article on 352x480, CVD resolution and 1/2 D1 and it's
> relationship to S-Video/SVHS, read here:
>
> http://www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/userguides/98177.php

This was extremely facinating reading.  Thanks for the link!

This appears to be the best solution for what I want to do.
For some shows, I can burn to DVD, and for the shorter ones to a CD.
And it appears to help with some of my issues of which resolutions
settomgs to record at with minimal issues for the rare times I want to
archive something, since SVCD used the kinda oddball 480x480.

Since the conversion using nuexport is so time consuming, I want to try
to make sure I record within Myth at the best settings to minimize the
time to convert into this new format.

Based on that CVD guide, I gather I want to record at 352x480 with about
a 2400 bitrate correct?

The audio appears to be more of an issue.  SVCD wants 44.1 khz while DVD
wants 48.  I will try the 48000 and see if I am fortunate enough to have
a DVD player that will play an SVCD with 48000 audio.
Where I start to get messed up again on the audio settings to use is on
the quality slider.  I assume that translates into a bitrate, but am
unsure what value equals which bitrate.  Since SVCD will take between
128-384, and DVD takes between 192-448, I guess I want to use the 192
but would like to know what the slider equivalent to that is.

I want to minimize the time to have to do the export to mpeg2.

Finally, I guess that some hacking of nuvexport will be in order.
Joseph Caputo's post was most helpful with insight with some of the
export issues and mpeg2enc.  If anyone else has suggestions on exporting
the myth files to this CVD formatted mpg2 that would be great.

Ultimately what I would love is to be able to do exactly what the brand
new panasonic with Tivo + DVD record does.  If you want to archive
something recorded, just insert a DVD-R and choose to archive it.

Thanks,
-Jim