[mythtv-users] backend sizing for 4 pvr streams

MegaDeTH megadeth at geekopolis.com
Sun Dec 7 12:39:19 EST 2003

I'm doing 2 streams on an OLD dual celeron 333 with a drive/card combo.

/dev/hdg:
  Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  1.31 seconds = 97.71 MB/sec
  Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  2.52 seconds = 25.40 MB/sec

This machine was purchased quite a few years ago. and it'll do 2 streams
& transcode one at the same time, while playing on 2 frontends, without
any difficulty, along with serving web & mysql too.

You shouldnt have any trouble with 4 streams using encoders on a modern
computer, you can always turn down the bitrate if needed, but I doubt
you would need to, I'm running almost exactly half of what you have for
IO, with half the streams encoding.

I do have a dual cpu box though, that does make a big difference!  I
tried running on a 1.1ghz box, and I hated it, I went right back to the
dual celeron, if only I could find some P3 slot1 100mhz bus chips that
werent overpriced.

L8r mega