[mythtv-users] Audigy AC3/SPDIF out?

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Sat Dec 6 21:31:22 EST 2003

Chris Germano wrote:
> How would I go about setting up AC3/SPDIF out on an Audigy?
>
> I'm currently running Alsa with an Audigy (EMU10K2 chipset, ya i know it's
> the Audigy 2 chipset). I'm using it normaly right now and it works. However
> I want to use the SPDIF out on the back of the card for the various Myth
> Plugins, and of course TV. I'm recording TV with btaudio at 32khz right now
> (it's hardware locked) so will that be a problem or does it automaticaly
> support or upsample it? Once it is setup do I have to force i to use it or
> point it to the proper /dev? ie MythVideo calls to mplayer for AC3?

Normally it has nothing to do with the device files but is a
matter of the mixer setting, at least this is the case with
my SBLive. In alsamixer I have an with the caption "SB Live"

 Card: Sound Blaster Live!
 Chip: SigmaTel STAC9708/11
 Item: SB Live Analog/Digital Output Jack

This has no volume sliders and can only be muted or unmuted.
When unmuted, it just plain works. Audio from any source is
routed to my receiver's digital input. When muted, nothing.
Your's may have a different caption but look for something
titled "Digital Output Jack" or something similar.

--  bjm