[mythtv-users] lirc & homebrew transmitter & scientific atlanta 2100

Tony Maro tony at maro.net
Sat Dec 6 19:55:32 EST 2003

papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu wrote:

>>Interestingly enough, I just got done programming a universal remote to
>>control my MythTV box using a home built IR receiver. (The opposite of
>>your project.)
>>
>>Also, for some reason I couldn't use ANY of the pre-fab configs on
>>lirc.org.  I also found I had to do a -f when recording to get a signal
>>- using RAW mode.
>>

>	I found out something interesting while trying to program my receiver
>for my remote.  The remote was a partial universal remote (for a dvd player...
>limited TV functions that were programmable).  If you try to have it detect the
>type of remote, it assumes only one type of remote.  If you've got the
>universal set up multiple things, it's not going to like anything but raw.
>Here's what I did though...
>
>	Determine (or guess?) which keys are for specific models.  For
>instance, volume doesn't work on a DVD player (usually), but it does for the
>TV.  Call that a 'sub-remote.'  Use xmode2 to look at what's coming in.  All
>packets (for a specific sub-remote) should look pretty similar.
>
>	During the first part of the irrecord (before you enter each key),
>press ONLY the keys corresponding to your sub-remote keys.  It should be able
>to recognize the coding scheme for those and you can get the (much better)
>non-raw versions.  If necessary, repeat (with a new config file) for the other
>"sub-remotes".  When all done, glue the files together.

That's basically what I did - even with my original TV remote I had to
use RAW, so I'm guessing it's my IR receiver module (Radio Shack crap)
or my crappy soldering job, lol.

I finally found one VCR code that would actually detect the repeat
codes, so I remapped all the buttons on my remote from a spare position
into the main one for keys I needed to repeat such as up,down, etc.

My final file has 2 different "sub-remotes" in it.

Thanks for the info, though.

Tony